The Travelers: Nomadic Halflings
Small humanoid (halfling) (14 RP)
- +2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution or Wisdom, -2 Intelligence. Nomadic Halflings are nimble, hardy and strong-willed. (1 RP)
- Advanced Dexterity: Nomadic Halflings receive a +2 to Dexterity. They never lose their Dexterity bonus due to age and instead gain 1 point of Dexterity every time they increase in age. This replaces their age related Intelligence bonus. (4 RP)
- Type: Nomadic Halflings are humanoids with the halfling subtype (0 RP)
- Lowlight vision: Nomadic Halflings can see twice as far as a race with normal vision in conditions of dim light. (1 RP)
- Small Size: Nomadic Halflings gain a +1 size bonus to their AC, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, a –1 penalty on combat maneuver checks and to their CMD, and a +4 size bonus on Stealth checks. Small races have a space of 5 feet by 5 feet and a reach of 5 feet. (0 RP)
- Normal Speed: Nomadic Halflings have a base speed of 30 feet. (0 RP)
- Fast: Nomadic Halflings gain +10 feet to their base speed. (1 RP)
- Keen Senses: Nomadic Halflings gain a +2 racial bonus to Perception skill checks. (2 RP)
- Skilled: Nomadic Halflings gain a +2 racial bonus to Acrobatics or Stealth skill checks. (2 RP)
- Fast Talker: Nomadic Halflings gain a +2 racial bonus to Bluff or Diplomacy skill checks. They have a love of talking and haggling for goods. (2 RP)
- Lucky, lesser: Nomadic Halfings gain a +1 racial bonus to all saves. (1 RP)
- Quick Reactions: Nomadic Halflings must take the Dodge feat as their first feat, but receive Improved Initiative as a bonus feat. (2 RP)
- Outsider: Nomadic Halflings reputation of thievery and greed often unnerve those they don’t know. They take a –4 penalty on all Charisma-based skill checks to affect town folk and receive a +4 dodge bonus to AC against them. Town folks starting attitude toward halflings is one step worse than normal. They are often accused of cult worship, children stealing, or worse. (-2 RP)
- Languages: Common and Halfling; Bonus: Choose three from area (often Elven, and Sylvan are chosen). (0 RP)
Alternate Racial Traits
- Dexterity Focus: Nomadic Halflings can increase their Dexterity 1 level earlier than any other ability. Therefore a halfling could choose to increase its Dexterity at 3rd level instead of 4th, 7th instead of 8th, and so on. To increase any other ability, halflings must wait until the appropriate level. Replaces quick reactions.
- Fearless: Nomadic Halflings gain a +2 racial bonus on all saving throws against fear effects. Replaces keen senses.
- Swarming: Nomadic Halflings are used to living and fighting communally with each other. Up to two halflings can share the same square at the same time. If two members of this race that are occupying the same square attack the same foe, they are considered to be flanking that foe as if they were in two opposite squares. Replaces lucky, lesser.
- Weapon Familiarity: Nomadic Halflings are skilled with any thrown or missile weapon. They gain a +1 to attack and may use their Dexterity modifier instead of Strength modifier for damage all rolls. Replaces fast talker.
- Wrangler: Nomadic Halflings gain a +2 racial bonus to handle animal skill checks and animal speech (choose type). Replaces skilled.
Nomadic Halflings commonly roam the plains of Atlantia, but are often found on Animas, Dinoterra, Avalonia and Tir fo Bryn as well. Their ancient home was destroyed during the Chaos Wars, so they now travel in search of a new one. The true reason that they travel has been lost to the ages, although a few bards say they remember. Some even say that they are Geased to travel until they make up for an ancient wrong.
They are commonly driven from nearby towns after they have traded because they have a bad reputation for stealing anything that isn’t nailed down (sometimes things that are). Their communal society doesn’t have the same respect for property as most settled folk, they practice a share and share alike with everything. If it’s just sitting around not being used than it must not be wanted or needed. At times they pick up pretty objects and just walk off, and so are accused of stealing it.
They are often accused of cult worship, children stealing, or worse. They love to party, and others are attracted to this way of life, so follow the Travelers to join them.
Homebrew Spotlight: Wild Halfling
Figure of the Week: Halfling Rogue
This is a charming, characterful description of a race option and sounds like it would be really fun to play 🙂 However, you might want to revise the use of the word Gypsy in the description – Gypsy is a real-world pejorative term used by many (particularly Hitler) to persecute and dehumanize the Rromani people in the same way that the N word has been used to dehumanize people of African decent. I’m not criticizing you for using it, many people don’t realize that it isn’t just a term which means ‘hippy traveler’ but for a real Rromani person and avid rpg fan it’s quite upsetting to see it used in that way – hope you can understand? 🙂
I was already considering this. It will be changed to Nomad instead.
LikeLiked by 1 person
You’re a super-star! Hugest respect! 😀 😀
Love this. Plan to use for my next homebrewed campaign. Perfect for a player I think. Great job and mad respect as above for keeping it “Nomad”.
Well, that’s some of my art of my halfling bard in that gallery…. my gypsy inspired bard whom I did an entire write up on her culture for.
LikeLiked by 1 person
I loved the art, sorry that I didn’t credit you, I’m still learning how to do that.