Medium Humanoid (lepi, animalfolk) (12 RP)
- +2 Dexterity, -2 Intelligent or Wisdom (0 RP)
- Humanoid: Lepi are humanoid with the Lepi subtype. (0 RP)
- Medium Size: Lepi are medium so have no bonuses or penalties due to their size. (0 RP)
- Standard Speed: Lepi have a base speed of 30 feet (0 RP)
- Lowlight Vision: Lepi can see twice as far as a race with normal vision in conditions of dim light. (1 RP)
- Keen Senses: A Lepi’s skittish heritage grants them Alertness as a racial feat (+4 Perception). (2 RP)
- Expert Leaper: When making jump checks, Lepi are always considered to have a running start. Also, when they deliberately fall, a DC 15 Acrobatics check allows them to ignore the first 20 feet fallen, instead of the first 10 feet. (2 RP)
- Feet of Fury (Ex): The large, powerful feet of a Lepi make effective weapons. All Lepi automatically receive the martial artist (unarmed attacks, 1d6) and weapon finesse (kick) feats and a +4 racial bonus to Jump checks. (3 RP)
- Healthy: Lepi gain a +4 bonus on Fortitude saves against disease and poison, including magical diseases. (2 RP)
- Fleet Footed: Lepi receive Run as a bonus feat and a +2 racial bonus on initiative checks. (2 RP)
- Language: Lepin and Common. Bonus Languages: Elven, Gnome and Sylvan.(0 RP)
Alternate Racial Traits
- Burrow: Lepi gain a burrow speed of 20 feet. Replaces expert leaper.
- Sociable: When Lepi attempt to change a creature’s attitude with a Diplomacy check and fail by 5 or more, they can try to influence the creature a second time even if 24 hours have not passed. Replaces lowlight vision.
- Swarming: The warren is life, Lepi are used to living and fighting communally with other members of their race. Up to two members of this race can share the same square at the same time. If two members of this race that are occupying the same square attack the same foe, they are considered to be flanking that foe as if they were in two opposite squares.Replaces fleet footed.
- Beguiling Liar: Lepi gain a +4 racial bonus on Bluff checks to convince an opponent that what they are saying is true when they tell a lie. Replaces fleet footed or healthy.
- Plains Runner: Lepi love to run, so gain a +4 to Constitution checks during a forced march. Replaces healthy.
Lepi are a race of humanoid Hare that live in underground warrens on Animus Island. They have a smaller cousin called the Lepus. They both evolved underground, but the Lepi left their warrens to begin a hunter-gatherer existence. Lepi were once high-strung herbivores with a, “hair-trigger” fight or flight instinct that favored flight. They developed sensitive ears and sharp eyes to more easily escape predators.
Whether it was from lack of food, population pressure or predatory pressure, no one knows. They are now omnivores and excel in the martial arts. Because of their muscular legs similar to a kangaroo, they are great leapers and use them in their natural kick attacks.
A Lepi’s fur comes mostly in shades of gray and brown, but other colors are known. They are very prolific and have few enemies. Favored classes include: fighter, ranger and rogue. Rarely do they follow the magic arts, although it is possible if one can sit still long enough to learn.
Anatomy & Morphology
Lepi are medium-sized hare-like humanoids (animalfolk).
Genetics and Reproduction
Lepi are very prolific and tend to have large families. Females are fertile a few times a year, litter size can range from 2-6 kits, with 3 as the average. They prefer other Lepi partners but are compatible with many other humanoid races. These unions only yield one or two offspring, that are usually sterile.
Growth Rate & Stages
Lepi kits are born with their eyes open and can run around on all fours within a day of birth. They tend to be uncoordinated and clumsy for the first month or so, but learn fast. They grow quickly, and eat prodigious amounts to fuel this growth. Often 1-3 feet in the first year. They become an adult between ages 2-4, leaving home to train with the Fianna soon after.
Ecology and Habitats
Any temperate, but prefer mountainous and hilly areas, some like plains or desert as well.
Dietary needs and habits
Lepi are vegetarians, with prodigious appetites. They prefer a diet of root vegetables, tubers and greens; with a sprinkling of nuts and fruit. A rare few eat fish or insects.
They have a very structured society. Whether it be from the military or guilds depends on the location and time period.
Uses, Products & Exploitation
They are commonly hired as mercenaries, or craftsman.
They have long, narrow faces with tall ears and bushy cheek hair.
Geographic Origin and Distribution
Lepi are of average intelligence.
Perception and Sensory capabilities
Lowlight vision, and keen senses (+2 racial bonus to Perception).
CIVILIZATION AND CULTURE
Lepi commonly have 3-6 names. The first name is usually a nickname, others are from relatives and the last is their surname.
Some examples are:
- Male: adarin kordyne, algador swiftback, ballaw de quincewold, jodd, kersey, longeyes, lorquin woodsorrel.
- Female: maudie, peasblossom, pennybright, petunia, daphne duckfontain dillworthy, dewfleck, ecrea.
The Fianna clans are similar to a militia, that is beholden to their clan chief. They roam their territory protecting the clan from roving hordes and enemies of any kind.
A Lepi’s ears, tail and coloring are important to females as well as some males.
One of the few examples of differences in the sexes, is that females are trained more in ranged weapons than melee. In everything else, there is no difference.
Females are often picky when choosing a male to give permission to court her. Courtly manners and battle prowess are important qualities in prospective mates.
Honor and strength of character are important characteristics.
Average technological level
Lepi are a developing culture in the Iron Age.
Major language groups and dialects
Their main language is Lepin. Elven, Sylvan and Common are also spoken.
Common Etiquette rules
Lepi are a friendly and boisterous people. They hold honor in high esteem.
Common Dress code
Many Lepi, even ones that have retired from the Fianna, wear military uniforms or something similar.
Culture and cultural heritage
They have a militaristic society similar to the Irish. All Lepi have some form of martial training and most hold a place in one or another of the Fianna clans.
All Lepi are given basic military training, no matter what job they will fill later in life. After this training, they are required to fulfill 2-5 years of service. This is usually by patrolling with one of the Fianna clans that keep the peace along the borders.
Common Customs, traditions and rituals
Lepi follow the seasons and find any reason to have a feast. For this reason even a change in the season is the reason for a party.
Making friends with vermin.
They are one example of Atlantean forced evolution that gained few side effects in the process. Lepi were bred for slave labor and cannon fodder. This is also why they were among the first to rebel against their masters.
Interspecies relations and assumptions
Lepi are friendly with most good aligned races. Their closest allies are Elves, Tree Gnomes and Fey; as well as other animalfolk.
|Scientific Name||Homo Leporidae Lepus|
|Origin/Ancestry||Mountain Hare, Plains Hare|
|Average height||5′ 5″|
|Average physique||Lepi have a lean but muscular body. They are fast, flexible and great jumpers.|
|Body tint, coloring and marking
|Lepi have a large variation of possible colors to its fur. Some of them are: tan, dull yellow, pale brown, or sandy-grey with brownish or reddish stripes. Some additions can be tan, brown, orange or grey. The head has often has a pale, bare, grayish or orange (or brown, tan) patch of skin around the eye and extending forwards to near the muzzle and backwards to the base of the long ears, which have black tips. The underparts and flanks are usually white or light tan. The top of the tail is usually a dark color.|